How Term Life Insurance Works
Term life insurance provides you with temporary life insurance for a specific number of years.
Usually, term life policies offer coverage up to a maximum duration of 30 years.
However, depending on your current age and health, you may be able to select a "Policy Term" that provides protection for a period of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 years.
Term life builds no cash value inside the policy, it is not an investment, it is "Pure Protection". That’s why it usually costs up to 5 times less than permanent life insurance.
- Term life is the lowest cost type of life insurance.
- Term life insurance lasts for a set period of time up to 30 years.
- Term life policies pay the beneficiary the face amount of the term life policy if the insured person dies during the term of the policy.
- For example, a 10-year term life policy with a face amount of $250,000 would pay $250,000 to your beneficiary if you die any time during those 10 years.
- If you're alive at the end of the policy term, the coverage ends.
Start Your Term Life Insurance Quote
Term Life Insurance Has Three Standard Features:
The annual insurance premium for your life insurance policy stays the same each year. The face amount of life insurance coverage also stays the same. Level term life insurance policies can last up to 40 years.
Before the end of the term for your policy, the life insurance policy owner (you) may be able to convert the term life insurance policy into a permanent life insurance policy. The owner usually has a specific number of years during the term life insurance policy to convert the policy. Your life insurance premiums will be higher for the permanent life insurance.
Term life insurance policies that are renewable offer the owner of the policy the option of renewing the life insurance policy at the end of the term, up to a specific age limit (usually age 65 or 70).
For example, a 15 year policy may be renewed for another 15 years when the first policy ends. If the policy is renewed, a medical exam may or may not be required. The term life insurance premium will usually increase when the policy is renewed.
Term Life Insurance Quotes
Top Pick – JRC Insurance Group
JRC Insurance Group helps you shop, compare and save on life insurance. Regardless of your age or health background, we'll shop our 40+ insurance companies and find you affordable life insurance you need to protect your family and fit your budget. Compare the best life insurance rates for savings up to 73%. Get Your FREE Quote.
Highly Recommended – Globe Life Insurance
Get FREE Information on how $1* Can Buy Up To $100,000 Globe Life Insurance for Adults or Children
- No Medical Exam – Simple Application.
- No Waiting Period. Buy Direct.
- Rates As Low As $3.49 per month.
- Join over 4.4 Million Policyholders.
- No Phone Required. No Credit Required.
- Coverage in force is over $91 billion.
- A.M. Best rating is an A (Excellent) as of 7/21.
How Term Life Insurance Works
Disclosure: Compensated Affiliate