Tips on Buying Life Insurance
Here are some tips on buying life insurance to help you find the right policy, and save you time and money on your life insurance.
- Don't wait until you really need the coverage! By that time you'll be that much older, you may be sick or you will have encountered a health issue that will cause your premiums to be much higher than you expected. That is of course if you can even qualify for the life insurance coverage. The point being, if you know you need life insurance coverage – DON’T DELAY.
- The highest financial rating doesn't necessarily mean better coverage. The important thing is to at least be looking at an "A" rated company. There is little, if any difference between one company's term policy and another, so basing a decision only on financial ratings won't always get you best rates on your life insurance policy. The highest rated life insurers tend to be more conservative in their underwriting, so you may or may not be able to qualify for their best rates.
- Shop and compare life insurance quotes online before you meet with an agent! Many online life insurance brokerage companies can save you up to 73% on your premiums. The reason is because they offer you quotes from many different companies seeking only to get you the best rate available.
- Choose the annual premium payment option, if you can afford it. Paying annually can save you up to 20% with some life insurance companies versus monthly, quarterly or semi-annually premium payments.
- Don't smoke. Smokers are charged up to 2-3 times more for their life insurance coverage. If you want to save money on your policy, quit smoking. If you do smoke, most companies will let you re-apply for nonsmoker rates if it has been at least 1 full year from the last time you had any tobacco products in your system.
- If you have cholesterol or blood pressure issues get it controlled with medication. Insurance companies don't like to see health issues go unattended. If you are doing something to control it they will probably look at that favorably and give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes time to approve your life insurance policy.
- If you are considering buying $90,000 of coverage, buy $100,000 instead. Many times it will cost you less money, the same or just a little more for the additional life insurance coverage. Insurance companies may give breakpoints at $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, $750,000 and $1,000,000. So it won’t cost you that much more in annual premium to get the higher amount of coverage.
- Read the life insurance medical exam tips before completing your exam. Drinking caffeine or exercising just before your medical exam can throw off your lab results and cost you big time on your life insurance premiums.
- Obtaining coverage through your company's plan may be a good alternative in the short-run. Many employer's plans won't let you continue your coverage if you leave. If you need coverage then, you'll have to apply for an individual policy anyway. You may or may not be insurable at that time. Why take the chance? Get a separate policy in force now to guarantee your insurability in the future.
- If you're 35 years old, you're as old as 36 in the eyes of the insurance company. Most insurance companies round up to the next highest year when determining your age and because premiums increase with age that can make a big difference in your annual premium. So, if you're approaching 30 or 35 and you have thoughts of applying for a life insurance policy, don't wait!
To learn more tips on buying life insurance read this article on how term life insurance works.
Life Insurance Quotes
Top Pick – JRC Insurance Group
JRC Insurance Group helps you shop, compare and save on life insurance. Regardless of your age or health background, we'll shop our 40+ insurance companies and find you affordable life insurance you need to protect your family and fit your budget. Compare the best life insurance rates for savings up to 73%. Get Your FREE Quote.
Highly Recommended – Globe Life Insurance
Get FREE Information on how $1* Can Buy Up To $100,000 Globe Life Insurance for Adults or Children
- No Medical Exam - Simple Application.
- No Waiting Period. Buy Direct.
- Rates As Low As $3.49 per month.
- Join 4.3 Million Policyholders.
- No Phone Required. No Credit Required.
How to Buy Term Life Insurance Now
Tips on Buying Life Insurance
Disclosure: Compensated Affiliate